Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Barcelona

Two weekends ago I took a quick trip to Barcelona. I had a friend, Angie Florence, who I played volleyball with at Whitworth, had decided to do a spring break trip through parts of Europe. She decided to head down to Barcelona and we made plans to meet up there. I arrived early saturday morning and had to spend the rest of the day alone sightseeing. Not a problem at all but when I arrived it just happened to be raining and I was without an umbrella and I was wearing the worst shoes possible. I forget they had a hole at the bottom so 15 minutes later, my socks/my little footies were sopping wet. Not fun!! I went the rest of the day walking around Barcelona in a little puddle in my shoe, very pleasant. I decided to screw sightseeing but go to the mall to search for a new pair of shoes...instead I found myself pitying myself and buying a muffin and nice Carmel Macciato at Starbucks, haha. This is luxary anytime I find a city with Starbucks, ha, sad.

The next day, Angela and he boyfriend, Josh, arrived at about 4 o´clock. It was SOOOO good to see them. They were the first peeps that I had seen from home other than my parents. It was so nice to spend time with people who are familiar. We quickly set out and saw the famous cathedral made by Antonio Guadi, La Sagrada Familia. It wasn´t my favorite style of cathedral, but it got the unique award. We spend the rest of the day seeing sights and walking around.

My last day, we decided to rent some bikes and head up to one of the most famous parks, Parque Guell. It was a long bike ride but so fun to see the town and sights we wouldn´t have seen otherwise. The park was amazing. It reminded me of candyland and was designed also by Antonio Gaudi. He definitely has a unique style. We spent a while there and then it was time for me to go. Altogether we only spend about 24 hours together but it was well worth it. Fresh of breath air. I am so glad Angie made the effort to come to Spain, it was a blast. Thanks Ang!!!

La Sagrada Familia

Parque Guell

Our sweet sassy bike ride across town.

1 comment:

The Johnsons said...

Fun stuff! I'm with you on Gaudi's style of architechture ... it reminds me of something from a Tim Burton film. How long do I have to wait to see you again?!