Thursday, May 14, 2009

La Feria de El Puerto de Santa Maria

La Feria (the fair) is a celebration that almost every town in Andalucia celebrate throughout this time of the year. Here is the best description I can give: it is where all the people in town come dressed in a gypsy/flamenco style dress (women) and men dressed like horse-back riders (only a couple actually wear that). At La Feria there are about 200 large tents (like little restaurants)where people go to drink, eat, and mainly dance "Sevillana." A fun time but SUPER hot, ridiculously hot. I went to Feria with a large group of my teachers. It was fun to go with people who are from there which means that they forced me to dance, "THE Sevillana". Not a good idea.

Here's a typical flamenco dress. It weighs a ton and is VERY hot. Good thing I was not wearing one because I was already sweating buckets. YIKES.


This is Miguel, he's one of the teachers at my school. I think his side job/hobby is organizing all the teacher dinners/activities. He always has a new plan. And I loved his dance moves, best ever.

This is me trying to dance Sevillana...don't mind the sweat stain, it was SOOO hot.

This was the next day when we made a trip back to La Feria just to try it out again, fun times.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

this looks like soo soo soo much fun! wow you are one lucky girl! :) love you t!

Anonymous said...

amaaaazing